Monday, July 25, 2011

#5

Have you ever been to Kenneth Hahn State Recreation Area? Just off of La Cienega, a lil' bit north of Jefferson? I like it there.

And by "I like it there", I mean, there are parts of it I like, and then there are parts of it that are reminder smacks: "LOOK!!! THIS IS LOS ANGELES!!!"

...that I dislike, unless I'm in a mood to snarkily appreciate irony.

It's free to get in during the week and it's a pretty sizable Area. There's a Japanese Garden, walking trails, a duck pond, a waterfall, a couple playgrounds, and at if you keep driving upwards, there's this MASSIVE grassy area with trees and such that I keep having fantasies about making Zombie flicks in. I believe at one point, that portion of the Area was used for...um...something to do with water, and then that got all fucked up, so now it looks like a giant crater full of grass with a bike path rim.

Unfortunately, if you live North of Jefferson, as I do, there's no quick way to bike up there. The bit that SMACKS of Los Angeles is that Kenneth Hahn Rec Area is surrounded by highway speed traffic and oil drilling fields with but a thin (emaciated, at points) row of trees to "hide" them.



I'm sure they did a California's Gold episode about it.


1 comment:

  1. I live like 8 blocks away! You should tell me next time you go and I'll meet you up there with the kids. Are you allowed to feed the ducks?

    ReplyDelete